As a company that installs of Poured in Place and Rubber Tile playground and safety surfacing, of course we think wood chips should be off of every playground. However, it’s not just about the business for us, we’re parents of small children. One of the primary reasons we choose to be in this business is we believe it’s important to have safe playground surfaces for our children to play on. We also believe these rubber playground surfaces make everyone’s lives just a little easier.
So, allow us to get on our soapbox for just a moment here to say…
NO MORE WOODCHIPS!
Okay, now that we have that out of our system, here are a few reasons why your playground’s wood chips simply have to go:
- They are a mess! Every playground we visit that has not made the switch to rubber playground surfacing, has woodchips everywhere. No matter what kind of edging or fencing is used to “contain” the woodchips, they will make their way on to the surrounding grass, parking lots, basketball or tennis courts, ball fields and everywhere else. Cleaning this up day after day becomes really annoying.
- Woodchips constantly need to be replenished. Every year wood chips decompose and get removed from the site. Replacing woodchip surfacing on a playground is at minimum an annual expense, and in some climates they have to be replenished or replaced more than once a year. A poured in place playground surface is a one-time install and your problem is solved. No annual replacement or replenishment.
- Woodchips on a playground are a safety hazard. Woodchips are constantly moved or kicked around the playground. As a result, some areas have plenty of chips, but in other areas, there is almost no fall protection. This happens especially under swings and other high traffic areas where children play and can trip or fall.
- Woodchips are not aesthetically pleasing. Who wants an ugly brown playground? A rubber playground surface can provide you with a virtually limitless variety of different designs including bright and vibrant colors!
- Children with disabilities cannot access your playground. Wheelchairs cannot be maneuvered on a woodchip surface and the loose material creates a built-in tripping hazard for everyone.
Seriously… enough said. Let’s work together to replace all those woodchips on playgrounds everywhere.
adventureTURF rubber playground flooring experts install playground and safety surfaces all across the country. Contact us today for a quote on your next project.